Saturday, December 9, 2006

Simon + Thai Food

Simon + Thai food = good times, good times.

Thanks Simon. Without you, I really would have no life. I even had a little conversation about it (okay, so it was a rant) last night with Camille. It went something like this.

Mirko: "I pretty much realized how much of a life I have. Pretty much none. Yeah. Pretty much. You're pretty much grounded. I'm not, but you know what I'm gonna be doing tommorow? Pretty much nothing. Nope. Gonna pretty much sit on my ass all day, and probably write and go emo and put on some eyeliner and cut myself up and listen to the Postal Service and..."

Camille: "..."

But nope. I went over to Simon's house and ate Thai food, watched that old Brad Pitt/Angie Jolie movie Mr./Mrs. Smith and oh yes, The Real World Denver. Comes to show you. Even when you do have a life, you don't really. That brings me to a little post Lukas made a while back (like two years ago, before the advent of Challenge: The Duel) on the subject of no more than...well Reality Television.


I detest reality TV shows. They're nothing but viciousness and greed boiled into one little hour long pot. It is pitifully amusing how the those with no value to watch those things. As a beginning, they are essentially formula shows, in the same manner that 'Westerns' are formula movies (in general). The people are unrealistic and stupid, overreacting over and over again. In one of the most popular shows, Survivor, the people are complete actors, disguised up in 'survivor' clothing. Of course they can't feel exactly stranded- there are cameras in their faces constantly, and they spill their prewritten 'feelings' out to an adoring audience. But there are reasons it's so popular, of course. One of them is that America is so... dull, people really want to believe that something like that (getting stranded) could happen to them. Or they want to believe that THEY could be the proud millionaires at the end of a season. Their aspirations of greatness are satisfied by watching everybody else fail, as one by one the 'survivors' are voted off.

Thanks Lukas. I think this drives two points home. First is that reality TV is about as unreal as it gets. Second is that...well, I doubt you remember you posted that, but hey. We were all fake, self-obsessed , quasi-intellectuals at one point. Love to all.

No comments: